Just like there are encouraging bible verses that we love to read and repeat, there are confronting bible verses that are hard to swallow! Nevertheless, the strong and confronting bible verses (that we sometimes overlook) are just as important. If it’s in the Bible, it’s meant to be read, digested, and lived. So, today I’ve compiled a list of 20 bible verses that confront us as Christians. Are you ready?
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase anything by clicking on the link, I may be compensated – at NO additional cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
SAVE THESE “20 Bible Verses That Confront Us” FOR LATER!
20 Bible Verses That Confront Us
1. Listening to God’s word is important but not enough. We need to practice what we read, hear, and preach.
James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. (NKJV)
2. The only thing worse than not being a Christian is being a lukewarm Christian.
Revelation 3:16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. (NKJV)
3. External religion is useless if we are not able to control what comes out of our mouth.
James 1:26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.
4. It’s impossible to please God and the desires of our flesh at the same time.
Romans 8:8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (NKJV)
5. We automatically condemn ourselves when we judge others.
Romans 2:1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. (NKJV)
6. Our relationship with God has to be genuine, not superficial.
Matthew 15:8-9 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.” (NKJV)
7. We will never be able to fill our void or thirst with temporary, earthly, and faulty distractions (broken cisterns).
Jeremiah 2:13 “For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water. (NKJV)
8. We can’t expect to receive anything from God without firm convictions.
James 1:7-8 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (NKJV)
9. Unbelief distances us from God.
Hebrews 3:12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God. (NKJV)
10. Once we follow God, we can’t continue to look behind and dwell in the past.
Luke 6:62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (NKJV)
11. When we omit or deny our sins before God, we only deceive ourselves.
1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (NKJV)
12. God detests self-proclaimed holiness and self-righteousness.
Isaiah 65:5 Who say, ‘Keep to yourself, do not come near me, for I am holier than you!’ These are smoke in My nostrils, a fire that burns all the day. (NKJV)
13. We can’t bless God with the same mouth that we use to curse men.
James 3:9-10 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. (NKJV)
14. It is better to please God rather than men.
Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. (NKJV)
15. We can’t profess to love God while hating others.
1 John 4:20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? (NKJV)
16. We commit adultery when we flirt with the world.
James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
17. We should not re-build the things (sins, bad habits, etc) that we once destroyed.
Galatians 2:18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. (NKJV)
18. Instead of boasting about the future, we must put the future and all of ours plans in God’s hands.
James 4:15-16 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. (NKJV)
19. Our liberty in Christ should not be used to sin freely.
Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. (NKJV)
20. Not doing the right thing is also considered a sin.
James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. (NKJV)
Whether you’re a woman or a man, God wants you to redefine your life and start living according to biblical truths that comes from His heart. 365 Biblical Truths To Live By was created to help you remember His Word, hold on to His promises, and make His truths a reality in your life. Whether you need biblical truths on starting over, being sustained, having purpose, being heard, feeling confident, receiving authority, finding peace, you name it, everyday you will find a biblical truth that will speak to your soul. Click here to learn more. (AD)
I hope you found these 20 bible verses that confront us helpful! Let me know in the comments below which bible verses impacted you the most.
More Posts You May Like:
- 20 Key Bible Verses About Self-Control
- 30 Eye-Opening Bible Verses About Obedience
- 24 Exciting Bible Verses About Growth
- 15 Best Bible Verses About Starting Over
- 10 Bible Verses To Read When You Feel Stuck In Life
- 15 Bible Verses About God Being In Control
Sending you blessings & love,