How do I spend more time with God? If this is a question you have asked yourself before, you’ve come to the right place. As a twenty-something year old, born in a Christian household, this is a question I’ve asked myself many times over the years. And the answer has always looked different. That’s because there is not a specific formula on how to spend time with God. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will open your heart to spending time with God in multiple ways. Below I am sharing 40 different ways to spend time with God.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase anything by clicking on the link, I may be compensated – at NO additional cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
SAVE THESE “40 DIFFERENT WAYS TO SPEND TIME WITH GOD” FOR LATER!
Spending time with God looks different for everyone.
I want to note that the list I have compiled below is based on my own experiences with God over the years. Like I said before, the way I have spent time with God has looked very different over time.
It’s definitely changed based on the circumstances around me and the seasons of life I’ve been in.
For example, spending time with God for a 5 year old can look different than spending time with God as a 20 year old. God is not linear and the way you spend time with Him shouldn’t be either.
So, this post is not meant to force you to spend time with God in a specific way. But instead, inspire you to spend time with God through multiple ways, depending on the season of life you are in.
Praise and worship God while you shower.
40 Different Ways To Spend Time With God
Ways To Spend Time With God At Home
1. Choose a book in the Bible to read through. You can read a chapter or a couple of chapters daily and jot down notes, verses, and lessons as you read! If you want to study a specific book, I have some fillable books available here!
2. Read a Christian-based book while drinking a cup of your favorite drink. And let God speak to you through what you’re reading.
3. Create a list of prayer petitions, go to a quiet room, and pray for each petition! 🙏🏻
5. Open your Bible randomly and let God surprise you! Even if you open to a book you don’t normally read (or like, it’s okay to be honest), try to understand what God is trying to teach you.
6. Try bible journaling! If you don’t have a journaling Bible, you can use “Chapters from the Bible” to journal every single chapter in every book of the Bible.
7. Re-read your sermon notes (if you’ve never taken notes in church, this is your sign to start) and try to study more in depth what you learned in church.
8. Create a prayer corner for yourself to pray to God in this place every time you want to pray at home. You can even create a prayer wall with verses that you want to reference back to when you pray. And keep a prayer journal in this corner too!
9. Create a gratitude list and thank God for all the blessings He has blessed you with.
10. Play worship music while you tackle house chores. Meditate and praise God as you clean, organize, or tidy up!
11. Grab a journal and some pens, put on a sermon on YouTube, and jot down important points as you listen to the message. Need Christian journals? Check out the entire “She believes, she writes” journal collection on Gumroad and Amazon!
12. Confess God’s word in your life with Biblical Affirmations. If you don’t know what affirmations backed up by Bible verses you can repeat, here are two biblical affirmations book you can check out:
13. Walk through your entire house praying for your family members and blessing each room.
14. Study and read a Bible verse daily with the “Joy everyday” journal. Write down the verse you want to study, doodle, and jot down the message this verse spoke to your heart all in one sitting!
15. Go through the entire Bible in a year by following a plan and reading a portion of the Bible daily. You can follow any plan you’d like, but if you don’t know which one to try, here’s “The Bible in 365 days.”
16. Journal about the the blessings and battles you’re experiencing in this season of your life. Bonus points if you find related verses and you write them down next to each blessing and battle.
17. Pray on specific areas of your life with scripture! Make a list of prayers, find verses to support each petition you have, and pray away.
18. Open up the Bible app and start a devotional. You can find a devotional on almost any topic!
19. Use Christian journal prompts to reflect in different areas of your life and pray!
Ways To Spend Time With God Outside
20. Take your Bible, some pens, highlighters, a blanket, snacks, and refreshing drinks to the beach. Have a cute little date with God while enjoying the beach.
21. Create a playlist with your favorite Christian songs and jam to this playlist when you’re out and about.
22. Listen to Christian podcasts while you drive.
23. Listen to the Bible during your commute.
24. Go on a walk with God: admire His works, talk to Him, meditate on His Word, etc!
25. Meditate on God as you explore nature. This can be during a hike, at a botanical garden, etc!
Ways To Spend Time With God With Others
26. Go to church with an open, sincere, and genuine heart. Engage in worship, church activities, etc!
27. Serve in your church – there is something so special about spending time with God as you serve others. I currently serve as a Sunday School teacher in my church. 👧🏻👦🏻❤️
28. Hop on a zoom call to read or study the Bible together with a friend.
29. Create a shared playlist with a friend on Spotify. Worship God together when you both listen to this playlist during trips, drives, etc!
30. Share the gospel to others.
31. Pray to God with a group of friends. God says where there are two or more gathered in His name, He is in midst of them.
32. Fast with your church.
33. Go to a Christian museum to learn more about the Bible! I recently visited The Ark Encounter & The Creation Museum in Kentucky and had such a blast!
34. Have a “Christian” picnic with some friends! Bring your Bibles, snacks, and lots of bible topics to talk about together.
35. Have a Christian movie marathon with your besties and then talk about the lessons God taught you all after each movie!
36. Be part of a bible study group where you can pray, study the Bible, and engage in godly conversation.
37. Reflect God’s love and light by volunteering in your local community : church, hospital, shelters, etc.
38. Study the Women in the Bible with a group of women. If you need an easy book with illustrations to introduce you to the different women in the Bible, you can check out “Women In The Bible, Who Left Their Mark In History”.
39. Catch up with a friend to talk about the blessings and battles you’re facing in this season of life.
40. Choose a topic in the Bible and create a Canva presentation with a friend together to explore this topic! This is a fun way to study the Bible and create a resource that many others can use.
More Posts You May Like
- 3 Ways To Spend Time With God When You’re Sick
- How To Spend Time With God When You’re Busy
- 10 Best Ways To Stay Connected To God Daily
- 3 Best Tips Build A Relationship With God
- 30 Encouraging Bible Verses About Serving God
I hope you enjoyed reading these 40 different ways to spend time with God! Let me know in the comments below what is your favorite way to spend time with God.
Sending you blessings & love,