Who does God say I am?
For the longest of time, I thought I was defined by my status, personality, nationality, religion, possessions, habits, and even people’s opinions of me. This caused me to feel lost, insecure, and simply not enough. The more I searched for identity in these things, the worst I felt about myself and the further I felt from finding my true self. Little did I know, I was never able to find my identity in these things because identity isn’t found in yourself, things, or people, but in God. So, if you have ever felt this way, today I’m going to share 40 powerful biblical truths of who God says you are in him.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase anything by clicking on the link, I may be compensated – at NO additional cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
BUT, WHO DOES GOD SAY I AM?
Often times we feel lost and out of place because the enemy likes to confront our identity.
CONFRONTING OUR IDENTITY
He plants doubts in our minds so that we can question the person God created us to be and blindly pick up the fake identities he throws our way.
Example in scripture: The devil confronts Jesus’ identity.
Matthew 4: 1-4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ” (NKJV)
Even though the devil knew who Jesus was, is, and will be, he still dared to confront his identity with the goal of tempting him by saying “If you are the Son of God…..do this”
The devil does the same to us by filling our minds with doubts, insecurities, and fear.
If you’re a child of God, why is this happening to you?
Are you sure God loves you?
If you’re “saved”, one little sin won’t affect you…..
FINDING IDENTITY IN THE WORD OF GOD
I could list a whole bunch of scenarios, but you get the point. The devil uses these tactics to trick us. But the good news is that Jesus left us the best example to follow in order to overcome these confrontations.
When the devil confronted Jesus’s identity, Jesus did NOT question his identity or give in to temptation. Instead, he used Scripture as a weapon and shield against the devil.
“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (NKJV)
Jesus did not need to prove himself to the devil or doubt who he was because HE knew where his identity came from: the mouth of God.
Bread represents the things we feed our minds, hearts, and life with: thoughts, habits, traits, accomplishments, and comments. But God says, we should NOT live on bread alone. We should not live off the things we are fed on this earth, but everything that comes from the mouth of God: his Word. Our identity shouldn’t be in what we eat, but in who we are through God – in who God says we are through scripture.
Save these 40 biblical truths for later!
40 Biblical Truths: Who Does God Say I am?
Below I have compiled a list of 40 biblical truths of who we are according to God. So, if you have been questioning your identity lately, these biblical truths are for you!
1. I AM SAVED
2 Timothy 1:9 says:
9. Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began. (NKJV)
2. I AM COMPLETE
Colossians 2:10 says:
10. and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power. (NKJV)
3. I AM CHOSEN
1 Thessalonians 1:4 says:
4. We know, dear brothers and sisters, that God loves you and has chosen you to be his own people. (NLT)
4. I AM FORGIVEN
1 John 2:12 says:
12. I write to you, little children, Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake. (NKJV)
5. I AM A NEW CREATION
2 Corinthians 5:17 says:
17. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (NKJV)
6. I AM A CHILD OF GOD
1 John 3:1 says:
1. Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. (NKJV)
7. I AM REDEEMED
Ephesians 1:7 says:
7. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (NKJV)
8. I AM LIGHT
Matthew 5:14 says:
14. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. (NKJV)
9. I AM JUSTIFIED
Romans 5:1 says:
1. Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (NKJV)
10. I AM FREE FROM SIN
Romans 6:22 says:
22. But now having been set free from sin and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. (NKJV)
11. I AM MORE THAN A CONQUEROR
Romans 8:37 says:
17. Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. (NKJV)
12. I AM GOD’S TEMPLE
1 Corinthians 3:16 says:
16. Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? (NKJV)
13. I AM ONE WITH CHRIST
1 Corinthians 6:17 says:
17. But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. (NKJV)
14. I AM CALLED
1 Corinthians 7:17 says:
17. But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches. (NKJV)
15. I AM CREATED FOR GOOD WORKS
Ephesians 2:10 says:
10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (NKJV)
16. I AM SAFE IN CHRIST
Colossians 3:3 says:
3. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (NKJV)
17. I AM VICTORIOUS
1 Corinthians 15:57 says:
57. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (NKJV)
18. I AM NOT CONDEMNED
Romans 8:1 says:
1. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. (NKJV)
19. I AM GUARDED BY GOD’S PEACE
Philippians 4:7 says:
7. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus. (NKJV)
20. I AM NO LONGER A SLAVE
Galatians 4:7 says:
7. Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. (NKJV)
21. I AM ACCEPTED
Romans 15:7 says:
7. Therefore, accept each other just as Christ has accepted you so that God will be given glory. (NLT)
22. I AM AN AMBASSADOR FOR CHRIST
2 corinthians 5:20 says:
20. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. (NKJV)
23. I AM HEALED
Psalm 30:2 says:
2. O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. (NKJV)
24. I AM SURROUNDED BY GOD’S MERCY
Psalm 32:10 says:
10. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround him. (NKJV)
25. I AM WELL PLANTED
Psalm 1:3 says:
3. He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper. (NKJV)
26. I AM BEAUTIFUL
Song of Solomon 4:7 says:
7. You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you. (ESV)
27. I AM NOT ALONE
Isaiah 41:10 says:
10. Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. (NKJV)
28. I AM GOD’S TABERNACLE
Revelation 21:3 says:
3. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. (NKJV)
29. I AM SUFFICIENT
2 corinthians 3:5 says:
5. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God. (NKJV)
30. I AM STRONG
2 corinthians 12:10 says:
10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (NKJV)
31. I AM BLESSED
Psalm 84:4 says:
4. Blessed are those who dwell in Your house; They will still be praising You. (NKJV)
32. I AM SPECIAL TO GOD
1 Peter 2:9 says:
9. But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. (NKJV)
33. I AM JOYFUL
Romans 15:13 says:
13. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (NKJV)
34. I AM ALIVE
Ephesians 2:4-5 says:
4-5. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved). (NKJV)
35. I AM PRECIOUS TO GOD
Isaiah 43:4 says:
4. Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life. (NKJV)
36. I AM A CITIZEN OF HEAVEN
Philippians 3:20 says:
20. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. (NKJV)
37. I AM WONDERFULLY MADE
Psalm 139:14 says:
14. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. (NKJV)
38. I AM HOPEFUL
Jeremiah 29:11 says:
11. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (NKJV)
39. I AM GOD’S
Isaiah 43:1 says:
1. But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. (NKJV)
40. I AM WISE IN GOD
Proverbs 2:6 says:
6. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. (NKJV)
Grab “Who does God say I am?” Printable!
I created a wonderful printable with all 40 biblical truths to help you remember who God says you are, at all times! Subscribe in the form below to download it!
In conclusion, if it’s not written in the Bible, don’t let it consume you, define you, or affect you. Always seek for identity in God. I hope you found this post helpful! Which biblical truth did you like the most? Let me know in the comments below!
Sending you blessings & love,